Wisconsin (UW) hosts Syracuse (Syr) in the ACC-B1G Challenge at the Kohl Center in Madison.
- Nice non-conference win for the resume. UW will have a chance to further polish its tourney resume with games vs Oklahoma and @Marquette
- Nigel Hayes was your MOTM, a needed performance from him after an Evan Turnerish night against UNC in Maui. Hayes had 9 Pts 11 Reb 10 Assists. He actually got to the FT line for a 1-and-1 in the last minute but bricked the FT thus missing out on a triple double. His distribution at the FT line completely dissolved the Syr zone.
- Koenig shook off a bad shooting night vs UNC in Maui with 7-11 from the floor including 6-9 from 3. His quick release took full advantage of slow Syr rotations. He only had 1 assist but 0 turnovers. Syr only real offensive spurt came in the 1st half with him on the bench.
- UW shot 49.2% from the floor but only 50% from the FT line (8-16) which needs to improve to help the Badgers close out closer games.
- UW had 21 Assists on 29 made FG which is phenomenal. Quick ball movement led to a lot of open looks.
- UW finished +15 on the boards.
UW looked in ctrl for much of the half. Hot shooting and crips ball movement kept the Syr vaunted 2-3 zone off balance. UW finished the 1st half poorly and let Syr back in the game after Syr finally started knocking down some 3s. UW scored 43 points so they can’t complain about that end. But allowing 6 Syr and Syr shooting 10-10 from the FT gave them a foothold back in this thing. UW had stretched the lead out to 14 at one point before a late Syr run got them within 4 at half. UW had 11 Assists on its 15 FG. The ball didn’t hit the floor much on the offensive end, quickly moving the ball around to find creases in the zone with the pass at the elbow kicked out quickly for a 3 or dropped down low to a cutting Happ. Frankly, the 11 Assists really should be scored like hockey where you add a 2nd assist. UW was 6-12 from the FT lane including missing a couple front ends of 1-and-1s that hurt the cause. Koenig and Happ carried the offense for UW in the 1st half. Probably not an accident that Syr mounted its rally after Koenig went to the bench. UW energy good, drawing fouls on the glass.
|Field Goal %||44.4||51.7|
|Three Point %||38.5||53.8|
|Free Throw %||100.0||50.0|
UW started the 2nd half on a 15-2 run sparked by a pair of 3s from Koenig to stretch a 43-39 halftime lead into a 58-41 advantage with 14:20′ left. The closest Syr got the rest of the way was 11. UW picked up where it left off with great ball movement and knocking down open looks. Syr failed to keep pace offensively. UW hit 4 treys in the 2nd half but 3 of them came in that 15-4 surge to start the 2nd half. Otherwise the UW feasted down low with Hayes at the foul line feeding Happ for an easy layup. Syr didn’t or couldn’t adjust.
|Field Goal %||38.2||49.2|
|Three Point %||26.1||47.8|
|Free Throw %||92.3||50.0|